I am an Associate Professor of Public Administration and Government at the Brazilian School of Public and Business Administration (EBAPE) at the Getulio Vargas Foundation (FGV) in Rio de Janeiro. I received my doctoral degree in administration from FGV, Brazilian School of Public and Business Administration, in 2005. From 2018 to 2019 I held a visiting appointment at London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), UK. Since 2015 I am a visiting professor of comparative public administration at University Institute of Lisbon, ISCTE, Portugal.
I have worked in several projects with the National Audit Office, the Office of the President, the Departments of Planning, Justice, Defense and different state-level governments. I coordinated more than 20 research projects with external funding.
Elected President of ANPAD (Brazilian National Association of Postgraduation and Research in Administration), for the 2021-2023 term. Member of the Brazilian Academy of Management Sciences (Chair 11).
Member of the Steering Committee of ICAPA - The International Commission on the Accreditation of Public Administration and Training Programs (ICAPA) and Project Director of "Public Sector Reform" working group of IASIA - INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF ADMINISTRATIVE SCIENCES.
Former coordinator of the MSc in Public Administration program and of the professional Master in Public Administration (MPA) at EBAPE/FGV. In 2014, the MPA was fully accredited by the ICAPA on the basis of quality standards developed by the United Nations.
Currently, I serve as the Editor-in-Chief of the Brazilian Journal of Public Administration – Revista de Administração Pública (RAP: http://bibliotecadigital.fgv.br/ojs/index.php/rap). The Brazilian Journal of Public Administration was launched in 1967 and has been published continuously since then by the Brazilian School of Public and Business Administration of the Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV EBAPE). The journal is published in three languages (English, Portuguese and Spanish) and it is the leading journal of public administration and public policies studies in Brazil, receiving more than 400 submissions per year.
My research interests relate with the study of bureaucracy and its contemporary transformations. I have done empirical research on autonomous bureaucracies, as Independent Regulatory Institutions (IRAs) and Audit Offices; on bureaucratic representation and its intersections with reputation & administrative burdens; on networks with nonprofit and private partners and major bureaucratic reforms. I published three books, several book chapters and more than 50 articles in international and Brazilian journals, such as Regulation & Governance, Public Management Review, Utilities Policy, Voluntas, International Review of Administrative Sciences, Organization, Public Administration and Development, Revista de Administracao Publica, Revista de Administracao de Empresas among others.
Currently, I am working on three research projects:
- media reputation and bureaucratic defensive strategies, with Sharon Gilad;
- drivers of decision-making in Independent Bureaucratic Institutions (IRAs) with Camilo Ignacio Gonzalez Becerra;
- bureaucratic reputation and symbolic representation, with Andre Cabral and Gregg Van Ryzin.
PECI, ALKETA; RUDLOFF PULGAR, OSVALDO CRISTIAN . Autonomous bureaucrats in independent bureaucracies? Loyalty perceptions within supreme audit institutions. Public Management Review , v. 1, p. 1-22, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1080/14719037.2018.1438503
PECI, ALKETA; OQUENDO, MIRTHA IRIS ; MENDONÇA, PATRÍCIA . Collaboration, (Dis)trust and Control in Brazilian Manufactured Public/Non-profit Partnerships. Voluntas , v. 1, p. 1-15, 2018.
BRULON, VANESSA ; PECI, ALKETA . Disputas do Estado em Favelas: O Campo Burocrático e o Capital Espacial. RAC. Revista de Administração Contemporânea (online), v. 21, p. 524-544, 2017.
PECI, ALKETA; D?ASSUNÇÃO, MÁRCIO LEITE ; HOLPERIN, MICHELLE MORETZSOHN ; DE SOUZA, CELSO FLORÊNCIO . Regulation inside government: The challenges of regulating a government-owned utility. Utilities Policy , v. 1, p. 1-10, 2017.
PECI, A.; FORNAZIN, M. . The knowledge-building process of public administration research: a comparative perspective between Brazil and North American contexts. International Review of Administrative Sciences , v. 1, p. 1-21, 2016.
Furtado, Liliane ; SOBRAL, Filipe João Azevedo ; PECI, ALKETA . Linking demands to work-family conflict through boundary strength. Journal of Managerial Psychology , v. 31, p. 1327-1342, 2016.
BRULON, V. ; Peci, Alketa . ORGANIZAÇÕES PÚBLICAS E ESPAÇOS ÀS MARGENS DO ESTADO: CONTRIBUIÇÕES PARA INVESTIGAÇÕES SOBRE PODER E TERRITÓRIO EM FAVELAS. Revista de Administração Pública (Impresso), v. 47, p. 1497-1518, 2013.
Peci, Alketa; QUINTELLA, L. ; CARDOSO, R. L. . Auditing government-nonprofit relations in the Brazilian post-reformist context. BAR. Brazilian Administration Review, v. 9, p. 4, 2012.
Alves, Flavia Neves Rocha ; Peci, Alketa . Análise de Impacto Regulatório: uma nova ferramenta para a melhoria da regulação na Anvisa?. Revista de Saúde Pública (USP. Impresso) , v. 45, p. 802-805, 2011.
Peci, Alketa; Figale, Juliana ; Sobral, Filipe . THE INVASION OF MANUFACTURED CIVIL SOCIETY: GOVERNMENT-NONPROFIT PARTNERSHIPS IN A BRAZILIAN STATE. Public Administration and Development (Print) , v. 31, p. 377-389, 2011.
Peci, Alketa; Sobral, Filipe . Regulatory Impact Assessment: How political and organizational forces influence its diffusion in a developing country. REGUL GOV , v. 5, p. 204-220, 2011.
Peci, Alketa . Taylorism in the Socialism that Really Existed. Organization (London) , v. 16, p. 289-301, 2009.
Peci, Alketa; VIEIRA, Marcelo Milano Falcao . The discursive formation of a scientific field. Management & Organizational History (Print), v. 4, p. 85-104, 2009.
PECI, Alketa; FREITAS, A. ; SOBRAL, F. A. . O dilema qualidade versus quantidade no ensino em administração pública: uma análise da experiência norte-americana. Cadernos EBAPE.BR (FGV), v. ed.esp, p. 1-11, 2008.
- SOBRAL, F. A. ; PECI, Alketa . Administração - teoria e prática no contexto brasileiro. 1. ed. São Paulo: Pearson Education, 2007. v. 1. 658p .
- PECI, Alketa. Regulação no Brasil: desenho, governança, avaliação. São Paulo: Atlas, 2007. v. 1. 207p .
- PECI, Alketa; SARAVIA, Enrique (Org.) ; BRASÍLICO, Edson Américo (Org.) . Regulação, Defesa da Concorrência e Concessões. 1. ed. Rio de Janeiro: FGV, 2002. v. 3000. 192p.
- PECI, ALKETA. Cabral, Andre ; Lee, Eunji ; BRULON, V. . A Janus-faced Public Administration and Race. In: Amanda Rutherford, Kenneth J. Meier. (Org.). Race and Public Administration. 1ed.: Taylor & Francis, 2020, v. , p. 165
- PECI, ALKETA; RAGAZZO, C. E. J. ; BRAGANCA, G. G. F. ; ROCHA, K. . RISCO REGULATÓRIO E EFEITOS SOBRE INVESTIMENTOS: UMA AGENDA DE MELHORIA REGULATÓRIA E DE FORTALECIMENTO DA GOVERNANÇA INSTITUCIONAL. In: João Alberto De Negri, Bruno César Araújo, Ricardo Bacelette. (Org.). Desafios da Nação: artigos de apoio. 1ed.Brasilia: IPEA, 2018, v. 2, p. 503-538.
- PECI, ALKETA; VIEIRA, A. . AGÊNCIAS REGULADORAS INDEPENDENTES? ANÁLISE DAS TRAJETÓRIAS DE CARREIRA DOS REGULADORES FEDERAIS BRASILEIROS. In: João Alberto De Negri, Bruno César Araújo, Ricardo Bacelette. (Org.). Desafios da Nação: artigos de apoio. 1ed.Brasilia: IPEA, 2018, v. 2, p. 539-558.
- Peci, Alketa. Regulatory Reform and a Better Regulation Agenda: Traveling from Center to Periphery. In: Thomas R. Klassen, Denita Cepiku, T.K. Lah. (Org.). The Routdledge Handbook of Global Public Policy and Administration. 1ed.London: Routledge, 2016, v. , p. 251-266.
- Peci, Alketa. Regulatory Impact Analysis in Latin America. In: Claire A. Dunlop and Claudio M. Radaelli. (Org.). Handbook of Regulatory Impact Assessment. 1ed.Cheltenham,: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2016, v. , p. 220-.
- Peci, Alketa; Lacerda, Daniel ; BRULON, V. . Organizing culture in favela Fluminense in Rio de Janeiro: the dynamics of precarity. In: Katarzina Kosmala and Miguel Imas. (Org.). Precarious spaces. 1ed.Bristol, Chicago: Intelect, 2016, v. , p. 211-228.