URGENT TOPIC: COVID-19
- Polarização em Tempos de COVID-19, Estadão (30/03/2020)
- Escolhas Intertemporais, a COVID-19 e a Decisão de Santa Catarina, Estadão (27/03/2020)
- Testes em Massa, Comportamento, e a COVID-19, Estadão (25/03/2020)
- Ph.D., Warrington College of Business, University of Florida, US, 2004.
- M.Sc., École des HEC, Université de Montréal, Canada, 1996.
- BSBA, Business Administration, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Brazil, 1993.
- October 2017 to present - Vice-Dean - Brazilian School of Public and Business Administration, FGV Rio de Janeiro.
- July 2012 to present - Professor of Consumer Psychology - Brazilian School of Public and Business Administration, FGV Rio de Janeiro.
- July 2010 to Jun 2102 - Associate Professor of Marketing (with tenure) - Haas School of Business - University of California, Berkeley.
- July 2004 to June 2010 - Assistant Professor of Marketing - Haas School of Business - University of California, Berkeley.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Society for Consumer Psychology (SCP) C.W. Park Outstanding Contribution Award for article published in the Journal of Consumer Psychology (2017)
- Association for Consumer Research (ACR) Early Career Award for distinguished scholarly contributions to the field of consumer research (2011)
- Journal of Consumer Research (JCR) Outstanding Reviewer Award (2010-2011)
- CASBS Scholar - Summer Institute on Emotion and Decision (pic) - Stanford University (2004)
- Marketing Science Institute (MSI) Young Scholar (pic) (2007)
- American Marketing Association (AMA) Doctoral Consortium Fellow - Minneapolis, MN (2003)
- Barbara and Gerson Bakar Faculty Fellow - UC Berkeley (2010 to 2012)
- Journal of Consumer Psychology (2018 to 2020)
- Journal of Consumer Research (2014 to 2017)
EDITORIAL REVIEW BOARDS
- Journal of Marketing Research (2010-to date)
- Journal of Consumer Research (2011-to date)
- Journal of Consumer Psychology (2012-to date)
PUBLICATIONS: SELECTED ARTICLES
- Mittelman, Mauricio, Dilney Gonçalves, and Eduardo B. Andrade (2020), "Out of Sight, Out of Mind: Usage Frequency Considerations in Purchase Decisions," Journal of Consumer Psychology, ahead of print.
- Palmeira, Mauricio, Eduardo B. Andrade, Shahin Sharifi, Wen Mao, and Jorge Jacob (2020), "The Influence of Arbitrary Breakpoints on Judgments of Maximum Output," Journal of Consumer Psychology, ahead of print.
- Barros, Lucia S. G., Cesar Zucco Jr., Eduardo B. Andrade, and Marcelo Brogliato (2020), “From Visitors to Donors: How and Why Funding Rates Vary over Time in All-or-Nothing Non-Investment Crowdfunding Projects,” Journal of the Association for Consumer Research, 5:1, 117-127.
- Ferreira, Claudio M., Rafael Goldszmidt, and Eduardo B. Andrade (2019), “The short- and long-term impact of an incentive intervention on healthier eating: A quasi-experiment in primary- and secondary-school cafeterias in Brazil,” Public Health Nutrition, 22(9), 1675-1685.
- Cohen, Joel B. and Eduardo B. Andrade (2018), "The ADF Framework: A Parsimonious Model for Developing Successful Behavior Change Interventions,” Journal of Marketing Behavior, 3 (2), 81-119.
- Spassova, Gerri, Mauricio Palmeira, and Eduardo B. Andrade (2018), "A Ratings Pattern Heuristic in Judgment of Expertise: When Being Right Looks Wrong," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 147 (July), 26-47.
- Von Schuckmann, Julia, Lucia Barros, Rodrigo Dias and Eduardo B. Andrade (2018), "From Slum Tourism to Smiley Selfies: The Role of Social Identity Strength in the Consumption of Morally Ambiguous Experiences," Journal of Consumer Psychology, 28(2), 192-210
- David, Isabel P.A. et al. (2018), "Appetitive Drives for Ultra-processed Food Products and the Ability of Text Warnings to Counteract Consumption Predispositions," Public Health Nutrition, Feb 21 (3), 543-557.
- Andrade, Eduardo B., Terrance Odean, and Shengle Lin (2016), "Bubbling with Excitement: An Experiment," Review of Finance, 20 (2), 447-466.
- Goulart, Marco A.V.O., Newton C.A. da Costa Jr., Eduardo B. Andrade, and André A.P. Santos (2015), "Hedging Against Embarrassment," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,116, 310-318.
- Mittelman, Mauricio, Eduardo B. Andrade, Amitava Chattopadhyay, and C. Miguel Brendl (2014), “The Offer Framing Effect: Choosing Single versus Bundled Offerings Affects Variety Seeking,” Journal of Consumer Research, 41 (December), 953-964.
- Chan, Cindy, Leaf Van Boven, Eduardo B. Andrade, and Dan Ariely (2014), "Moral Violations Reduce Oral Consumption," Journal of Consumer Psychology, 24(3), 381-386. OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION AWARD
- Lee, Chan Jean, Eduardo B. Andrade, and Stephen E. Palmer (2013), "Interpersonal Relationships and Preferences for Mood-Congruency in Aesthetic Experiences," Journal of Consumer Research, 40 (August), 382-391.
- Andrade, Eduardo B. (2011), "Excessive Confidence in Visually-based Estimates," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processess, 116 (November), 252-261.
- Lee, Chan Jean and Eduardo B. Andrade (2011), "Fear, Social Projection, and Financial Decision Making," Journal of Marketing Research, Special Interdisciplinary Issue on Consumers' Financial Decision Making, XLVII (November), S121-S129.
- Laran, Juliano, Amy Dalton, and Eduardo B. Andrade (2011), "The Curious Case of Behavioral Backlash: Why Brands Produce Priming Effects and Slogans Produce Reverse Priming Effects," Journal of Consumer Research, 37(April), 999-1014. (Summarized in "Why Consumers Rebel Against Slogans", Harvard Business Review, November 2011, p. 706).
- Andrade, Eduardo B. and Leaf Van Boven (2010), "Feelings Not Foregone: Underestimating Affective Reactions to What Does Not Happen," Psychological Science, 21(5),706-711.
- Andrade, Eduardo B. and Teck-Hua Ho (2009), "Gaming Emotions in Social Interactions," Journal of Consumer Research, 36 (December), 539-551 - LEAD ARTICLE.
- Andrade, Eduardo B. and Ganesh Iyer (2009), "Planned versus Actual Betting in Sequential Gambles," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. XLVI (June), 372-383.
- Andrade, Eduardo B. and Dan Ariely (2009), "The Enduring Impact of Transient Emotions on Decision Making," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processess, 109 (May),1-8 - LEAD ARTICLE.
- Andrade, Eduardo B. and Joel B. Cohen (2007), "On the Consumption of Negative Feelings," Journal of Consumer Research, 34 (October), 283-300 - LEAD ARTICLE.
- Andrade, Eduardo B. and Teck-Hua Ho (2007), "How is the Boss's Mood Today? I Want a Raise," Psychological Science, 18 (August), 668-671.
- Andrade, Eduardo B. (2005), "Behavioral Consequences of Affect: Combining Evaluative and Regulatory Mechanisms," Journal of Consumer Research, 32 (December), 355-362.
- Cohen, Joel B. and Eduardo B. Andrade (2004), "Affective Intuition and Task-Contingent Affect Regulation," Journal of Consumer Research, 31 (September), 358-367.
PUBLICATIONS: BOOK CHAPTERS
- Andrade, Eduardo B. (2015), "Consumer Emotions," In Cambridge Handbook of Consumer Psychology, Eds. Michael Norton, Derek Rucker, & Cait Lamberton. Cambridge University Press, pp. 90-212.
- Cohen, Joel B., Michel T. Pham and Eduardo B. Andrade (2008), "The Nature and Role of Affect in Consumer Behavior," In Handbook of Consumer Psychology, Eds. Curt Haugtvedt, Frank Kardes, and Paul Herr. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum (pp.297-348).
- Andrade, Eduardo B. and Joel B. Cohen (2007), "Affect-Based Evaluation and Regulation as Mediators of Behavior: The Role of Affect in Risk-Taking, Helping and Eating Patterns," In Do Emotions Help or Hurt Decision Making: A Hedgefoxian Perspective, Eds. Kathleen Vohs, Roy Baumeister, and George Loewenstein. New York, NY: Russel Sage, (pp. 35-68).
- Consumer Behavior (Masters and PhD Program)
SELECTED PRESENTATIONS AT FACULTY RESEARCH SEMINARS
- National University of Singapore (2019), Monash University (2019), Macquarie University (2019), University of Sydney (2019, 2016, 2015); Queensland University of Technology (2015); LBS Marketing Summer Camp (2012); Stanford University - Affective Sciences Group (2010); UC Berkeley - IPSR (2004, 2010); Duke University - Fuqua (2009); University of Toronto - Rotman (2009); Northwestern University - Kellogg (2009); University of Miami - Business School (2009); Yale University - SOM (2008); University of Southern California - Marshall (2007); University of Pennsylvania - Wharton (2006); University of Chicago - GSB (2006); New York University - Stern (2005); Columbia University - CBS (2005); Stanford University - GSB (2005).
SELECTED PRESENTATIONS AT CONFERENCES/COLLOQUIA
- SCP International - Florence, Italy (2012), ACR-North America (2010, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2002), SPSP Pre-Conference on Emotion - Tampa (2009), Bay Area Spring Colloquium - Santa Clara University (2008), MSI Young Scholar Conference - Park City - Utah (2007), SCP Conference - Las Vegas (2007), Emotion and Decision Making Reunion, UC Berkeley (2005)
VIDEO/AUDIO INTERVIEWS (IN PORTUGUESE)
- MyNews - Coluna do Garrone (Feb 2020): “Legalização das Drogas"
- Bate Papo FGV (Oct 2017) "Alimentação nas Cantinas das Escolas"
ADDITIONAL PRESS COVERAGE
- Poder360 (Dec 2018): “Como dobrar o número de doadores de medula”
- Bloomberg (Dec 2015): "Trading Under the Influence of Emotion"
- The Times of London (May 2013): "Best Way to Feel Better during a Break-up"
- Chicago Tribune (May 2013): "Breakup Might be Easier with Sad Music"
- Bloomberg Business Week (Nov 2011): "Scary Stock Market"
- New York Times (Sept 2010): "Refusing to Take Slogans at Face Value"
- Folha de Sao Paulo (Aug 2010): "Professor da Universidade da California da dicas de economia comportamental".
- Revista Galileu (Jan 2010): "Todo Mundo em Panico""
- Wall Street Journal (May 2009): "Does It Pay to Be an Angry Customer?"
- CBCNews.com (May 2009): "Consumer Anger Can Be a Powerful Negotiation Tool: Marketing Study"
- Responsible Gambling Council: "Gambling: A Game of Emotions, not Odds"
- YahooNews.com: "Gamblers Who Lose Bet More"
- California Magazine: "Going for Broke"
- Newsweek: "Asking For a Raise? Read This First"
- Forbes: "Now they know you know"
- USNews (Nov 2007): "In the mood for...money"
- ABC7news (Oct 2007): "New UC Berkeley Study Reveals Horror Films Secrets"
- Science Daily (July 2007): "Why Do People Love Horror Movies? They Enjoy Being Scared"