M.Sc., Management (Information Systems and Decision Sciences), Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, 1996.
B.Sc., Computer Science, Pontifical Catholic University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, 1990.
- January 2014 to present – Associate Professor of Marketing – Brazilian School of Public and Business Administration, FGV Rio de Janeiro.
September 2008 to December 2013 – Assistant Professor of Marketing – Foster School of Business, University of Washington.
September 2003 to August 2008 – Assistant Professor of Marketing – Leavey School of Business, Santa Clara University.
- Applied Game-Theory in Marketing;
- Marketing Channels and Retailing;
- Independent and Strategic Sales Force Organizations;
- Consumer Learning of Product Information;
- Marketing Analytics.
PUBLICATIONS: SELECTED ARTICLES
(Articles posted with appropriate permissions from the copyrights holders)
- “Strategic Information Transmission in Peer-To-Peer Lending Markets,” with Jonathan Zhang, Marcus Cunha Jr., and Jeff Shulman, Journal of Marketing, 82 (2), 2018.
- “The Role of Brand Image and Product Characteristics on Firms' Entry and OEM Decisions,” Management Science, 62 (11), 2016.
- “Harmful Upward Line Extensions: Can the Launch of Premium Products Result in Competitive Disadvantages?,” with Ling-Jing Kao and Marcus Cunha, Jr., Journal of Marketing, 79 (6), 2015.
- “Voluntary Quality Disclosure under Price-Signaling Competition,” with Dongsoo Shin and Andrew E. Stivers, Managerial and Decision Economics, 32 (8), 2011.
- “On the Observability of Purely Behavioral Sunk-Cost Effects: Theoretical and Empirical Support for the BISC Model,” with Marcus V. M. da Cunha Jr., Cognitive Science, 34 (8), 2010.
- “Sales Force Modeling: State of the Field and Research Agenda,” with M. K. Mantrala, S. Albers, O. Jensen, K. Joseph, M. Krafft, C. Narasimhan, S. Gopalakrishna, A. Zoltners, R. Lal, and L. Lodish, Marketing Letters, 21 (3), 2010.
- “Optimal Sales Force Diversification and Group Incentive Payments,” with Anne T. Coughlan, Marketing Science, 28 (6), 2009 [Lead Article].
- “Sunk Cost Effects on Behavioral Investments: Theory and Evidence,” with Marcus V. M. da Cunha Jr., Cognitive Science, 33 (1), 2009.
- “Spiffed-Up Channels: The Role of Spiffs in Hierarchical Selling Organizations,” with Anne T. Coughlan, Marketing Science, 26 (1), 2007.
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
- “Consumers’ Response to Weak Unique Selling Propositions: Implications for Optimal Product Recommendation Strategy,” with Marcus Cunha Jr.
- “Financial contagion in internet lending platforms: Who pays the price?” with We Geng Cheng and Rodrigo de Oliveira Leite.
- “Grace Period Offers in Loan Contracts under Adverse Selection,” with Rodrigo de Oliveira Leite.
- “State-Dependent Sales Force Compensation: The Case of Pharmaceutical Detailing,” with Anne T. Coughlan.
- “The effect of competition on retail price and variety decisions: theory and evidence,” with Andre G. O. Trindade.
- “When Do Mandatory Product Warranties Harm Consumers?” with Dongsoo Shin.
- “Exploring willingness to share in peer-to-peer access-based markets: the effect of roles performed and sharing intensities,” with Otavio Teixeira.
- Business Economics (MSc and PhD);
- Business to Business Marketing (Undergraduate and MBA);
- Competitive Marketing Strategy (MBA);
- Foundations of Marketing (Undergraduate);
- Machine Learning in Business Research (MSc and PhD);
- Marketing Analytics (Undergraduate and MBA);
- Marketing Strategy and Models (MSc and PhD).
SERVICES TO PROFESSION
- Associate Editor:
Revista de Administração Contemporânea (RAC), since 2019.
- Editorial Review Board:
Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management, since 2011.
Marketing Science, since 2016.
- Ad-hoc Referee:
AMA Summer and Winter Conferences, since 2013;
Business Research, since 2013;
Decision Sciences, since 2015;
EMAC Conference, since 2014;
Journal of Business Research, since 2019;
Journal of Marketing Research, since 2016;
Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management, since 2009;
Marketing Science, since 2005;
Management Science, since 2007;
Production and Operations Management, since 2014.
INVITED PRESENTATIONS AND LECTURES
- FGV/EESP (2016);
- FGV/EPGE (2017);
- Grenoble Ecole de Management (2019);
- HEC Montréal (2009);
- INSPER (2002, 2010);
- Northwestern University (2006, 2007, 2010);
- Penn-State University (2012);
- Rice University (2002);
- Santa Clara University (2002);
- University of California – Berkeley (2007);
- University of Michigan – Ann Arbor (2002);
- University of Pennsylvania (2008);
- University of Texas – Austin (2002);
- University of Washington (2006);
- Washington University in St. Louis (2002).
SELECTED PRESENTATIONS AT CONFERENCES/COLLOQUIA
- Bass FORMS Conference (2020);
- Bay Area Research Colloquium (2005);
- EBAPE Graduate Seminars (2014);
- Enhancing Sales Forces Productivity Conference (2010);
- International Industrial Organization Conference (2005);
- ISBM Academic Conference (2012);
- Marketing Science Conference (2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2017, 2018, 2019);
- UW – UBC Conference (2010, 2011).